Documenting the Coming Singularity

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Ten Self-Help Buzzwords and Buzz-phrases that I Despise

Wouldn’t you know it, I began thinking about today’s post with the intention of writing an article that would be helpful to my readers, and instead I have ended up with a list of things I despise about the self-improvement “industry.” I will tell you up front that I have a strong antipathy towards people who make a living by selling their so-called “secrets” to other people, which is what much of the self-help industry is about. For example, when I decided to try the life of a Realtor on for size, the remoras came slithering out from inside their dark little holes to try to latch onto me. What did they want? They wanted me to give them money so that they could help me make money. I know I’m a cynical person, but come on. The come-ons started coming in, from the self-appointed experts in the field. They would give me their money-making “secrets” if I would fork over my money. Hey, guess what. That’s their money-making secret…taking money from saps like me! If they really had such powerful secrets, why would they need money from me? And why would they tell anyone else what they were? I have no problem with people who offer a genuine service at a reasonable price. It’s the people with the secrets for sale that would give me heartburn if I let them get to me. So, how am I different? In three ways, which I shall now share with you.


First, I don’t have any secrets to sell to you. The people who have the real secrets aren’t telling or selling.

Second, if I pass on helpful tips, I’m not charging you anything for them. You can make a donation if you choose to do so, and you can click on my ads if you see one you are interested in. But visiting this site and making use of anything I offer is free of charge.

Third, I will always try like the dickens to give you solid content rather than insipid, meaningless jargon. Which leads me to my list of…

Ten Self-Help Buzzwords and Buzz-phrases that I Despise

  1. Nurture
  2. Positive
  3. Goals
  4. Self-Esteem
  5. Journaling
  6. Journey
  7. Personal Mission Statement
  8. Win-Win
  9. 7 Habits (of anybody)
  10. The Purpose Driven (anything)


If you have some others to share, feel free to leave a comment.

0 comments :