Documenting the Coming Singularity

Thursday, March 22, 2007

What You Don't Know Can Hurt You...A Lot

I've taken on a new job. My new job is to stay informed and keep you informed. Because there's a lot you and I don't know. And what we don't know can hurt us. A lot. I'm not talking about political or entertainment news. Those issues draw most of the available attention in the press because lots and lots of people are interested. No, I'm talking about news concerning advances in science and technology. The other stuff probably won't make much of a difference in your life, but developments in science and technology will, sooner or later.

Ask yourself this question: What's my source of news about the very latest discoveries and developments in sci-tech? The mainstream media, right? Well, you ought to know that the mainstream media is a secondary source, and it's a source that filters the news. The mainstream media's job is not to keep you informed. That's a hopeful effect, but it's not their job. Their job is to make profits by selling advertizing. To do this they need the biggest audience they can possible attract. They do that by putting on the air what they think will draw the most viewers or readers. So you have the primary sources, the journals, putting out news about what they're doing. Then you have the maistream media, picking up only bits and pieces of this news and passing on to you only what they think the wider audience can understand and will be interested in. That leaves out most of what's actually important for you to and me to know.

I am not going to do that. Because I want to know about what's going on that will make a difference in my life. And I want to tell you about it. I'm going to do this with indefatigable diligence. You can count on it. So stay tuned.

0 comments :