Documenting the Coming Singularity

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

So Convenient it Means (Virtually) Nothing!

Can something be made so convenient to do that it loses all meaning? Technology has brought us a long way, but along the way, have we lost some human connection? Are you old enough to remember when receiving a long-distance telephone call was a big deal? I am. The whole family would gather by the phone (which was tied by a wire to one particular spot in the house) to get a chance to say hello to Aunt Mildred. (Do you remember when women had names like "Mildred"?) Today, getting a call from a different city, state, or even country is a ho-hum experience. If you're like me, you're secretly thinking, "Why couldn't they just send me an email like everyone else?" Pretty soon you'll be saying, "A call from Io? It's probably a marketing call. I don't want to talk to anyone from Io. Take a message."

What got me to thinking along these lines was a web site offering the most convenient way to send flowers that's ever been available...send virtual flowers! You have to see it to believe it. It sounds like a great idea to me, but I don't know if my wife, or my mother, would be overly impressed by a bouquet of these beauties. Too bad, really.

0 comments :